How to brighten dark circles, depuff and smooth lines the natural way..
Are you looking for a natural solution to lift tired, dark, puffy under eyes and plump fine lines without going under the needle?
Maybe you are stuck in a rut of using expensive eye products or masks that just aren’t working for you or irritate your sensitive skin?
Perhaps you are already using our natural under eye oil but are unsure how to get the most out of it?
If any of these queries resonate with you then you need to read on...
Why is looking after the skin around our eyes important?
What’s the first thing you look at when talking to someone or what do you see looking back at you from the mirror? Most likely the eyes.
Tired, stressed, happy or sad – more than any other facial feature our eyes are our focal points of our face working to express and communicate and providing a window into our lives and who doesn’t want that window reflecting as healthy, bright, and fresh as possible?
5 facts you need to know about the skin around your eyes
1. The eye area is lacking in oil glands that help keep this skin moist, so we need to use products that help hydrate the drier eye skin and help it to look smoother.
2. The skin under your eyes is thinner (it can be up to 10 times thinner than the skin on the rest of your face) so it shows signs of ageing more quickly.
3. As you age it gets even thinner due to a loss of collagen and elastin.
4. It is being used constantly - every time you smile or squint or blink so over time we develop small wrinkles (crow's feet) quicker here than anywhere else.
5. There are many capillaries in this area that can lead to puffiness if fluid builds up there. Allergies and sinus problems can cause this too.
Do I really need to use a specific under eye product?
In short, yes. The skin under your eyes is different to that of the rest of your face :it needs intensive care.
Using a specifically formulated eye oil with skin mimicking natural oils such as those in our Queen Bee under eye serum would be the perfect way to give your natural oil production a helping boost to support your under eye area from developing issues of darkness, dry skin and puffiness.
Can’t I just use my face moisturiser under my eyes instead?
We wouldn’t recommend it.
Formulations designed for the face are often too thick, heavy or contain essential oils, all which can weigh down or irritate the sensitive eye area, exacerbating crow’s feet, redness, and any puffy inflammation – the opposite to what we want, right?!
Rather, choose a lightweight natural eye oil which won’t sit heavy on the delicate eye skin, but will be quickly absorbed and is packed full of natural humectants to bump up eye area hydration levels without overloading the fragile skin.
Is it time to swap out your current eye pads or gels for an eye oil?
Yes, try it, the results may prove an eye opener, pardon the pun.
An eye oil will penetrate deeper into the skin tissue than creams, filling the spaces between epidermal cells leaving fine lines plumped up and visibly smoother.
When it comes to bags and puffiness a natural eye oil will work better than a gels or cream for you which tend to over hydrate leaving the under eye looking water laden and even more puffy.
Eye pads and masks can be a popular choice amongst some but they do deliver a potent concentrated set of ingredients to the under eye which are often quite harsh, stripping and can cause reactions especially for those with dry, sensitive skin.
Still not convinced? Have a watch of the video below of Bec helping a particularly diva like customer choose an eye skincare product!
@honey.bee.beauty Feel like your current eye product isn’t working for you or our planet? You need to try this💚👁️ #naturalskin#brightenundereyes#byedarkcircles#depuffundereyes#undereyebags ♬ original sound - HoneyBeeBeautiful
10 reasons to choose our natural eye oil
1. No harmful mineral oil and its pore- clogging ilk.
2. Lightweight and easily absorbed.
3. Non comedogenic (won’t block pores), suitable for oily, acne prone skin types.
4. No harsh actives, preservatives or added fragrance: suitable for the most sensitive under eyes.
5. Naturally anti-oxidant rich to protect against environmental aggressors and premature ageing and help with dark circles and puffiness.
6. Supports the delicate skin barrier.
7. Roll on metal applicator to cool, help relieve any congestion and aid easy application without wastage.
8. Nothing harmful being washed down our sinks into our waterways and oceans.
9. Formulated with heroic local raw honey to reduce puffiness and inflammation, support the signs of ageing under the eyes and nourish and lock in moisture and brighten skin.
Have a look at the chart below to see how our Queen Bee under eye oil fares against your typical 'off the shelf' mainstream eye cream:
What makes our eye oil work?
Keen to know more about how the ingredients in our bestselling eye oil help banish the three most common eye skin complaints of bags, dark circles, and puffiness? Have a watch of the video below or scroll down if you would prefer to keep reading!
@honey.bee.beauty Natural Eye Oil for hydrated, smooth, depuffed under eyes👀 ✨ 🌱 #undereyeskincare#naturalskincareproducts#naturalskincareuk#undereyewrinklesolution#naturaleyeskincare ♬ original sound - HoneyBeeBeautiful
Rice Bran Oil
Rice bran oil helps to activate microcirculation and assists in draining and decongesting swollen tissue, making it ideal for battling dark under eye circles and puffiness under the eyes. And, because it is such a light velvety oil, it is absorbed quickly and can 'get to work' right away.
It has omega 6, omega 9 and carotenoids to brighten the under-eye area, co-enzymes such as Q10 for antiaging action, a combination of natural acids including ferulic acid believed to be up to 10 times more antioxidant than vitamin E, rendering this oil a great choice for supporting your under eye area.
Borage seed oil is naturally high in gamma linolenic acid and has been clinically proven to depuff and promote skin health on a cellular level. It protects the delicate skin around the eye by replenishing lipids in your skin's outer barrier structure, deeply hydrating to smooth under eye lines and brighten under eye circles.
We blend these two amazing natural oils with other skin nourishing plant oils for the under eye with, of course, our very own Raw Welsh honey – can be safely used on the delicate under eye area , has the anti – microbial and anti – inflammatory properties to help brighten the under eye skin by improving the blood circulation, and locking in moisture to plump out any fine lines.
How to apply your eye oil
When applying your Queen Bee under eye oil keep two things in mind: be gentle and remember that you do not need much!
1. Take the roller ball applicator up to your under-eye area keeping it semi upright. Do not tip up to a horizontal position as too much oil will be dispensed from the roller ball.
2. Swipe once under each eye and tap the product in with your ringer finger. Smooth any excess oil up above and around the upper eye area, following the eye contour bone. Always be gentle: the skin here is up to 10x thinner than the rest of the face, so a light touch is pivotal - you don’t want to give the ageing process a helping hand!
3. Also makes a perfect daytime addition under concealer to prevent dryness or caking.
4. Great as a multipurpose oil for nourishing lips, eyebrows, helping smooth fine lines and condition flyaway hairs and cuticles.
Remember: use consistently am and pm to see results; take a photo when you start using and then another after 4-6 weeks and you’ll be sure to see the difference!
For those super serious about their under eye area here are some BONUS TIPS:
1. Before using your eye oil apply your natural face spritz gently to the under eye area to provide deep glycerine based hydration for the ultimate in moisture plumped under eyes.
2. After using your eye oil in the evening, allow to absorb and then apply a thin layer of our Sensitive Bee Beeswax balm over the top to lock in moisture and draw moisture in from the air overnight for deeply nourished under eyes come the morning – lines be smoothed!
This 30-Sec Eye Miracle Massage will Instantly Reduce Puffiness & Dark Circles
To SUPER CHARGE your eye oil and for an instant depuff, try this ultra quick massage technique - you’ll aid lymphatic drainage to instantly decongest any puffiness, smooth fine lines, and brighten up those dark circles, plus it feels so rejuvenating. Here’s how:
1. Start with a freshly cleansed face and hands and apply one roll of our Queen Bee under eye oil to provide a nice slip.
2. Using your middle fingers, stroke your forehead in an upward direction above your nose, up your frown lines and above your brows to relax your muscles and release tension.
3. Use gentle tapping motions with your middle fingers (no tugging or dragging), and tap out a circle around your eyes. Go outward along your eyebrows, then inward along the top of your cheekbones toward the bridge of your nose. Circle your eyes three times. This brings blood flow to the area.
4. Press firmly and upward just under the brow bone on either side of your nose where your brows start and press firmly inward toward your nose, above the bridge, next to your tear ducts. Keep moving slightly until you hit the pressure points. This starts to release your lymph fluid.
5. To move the lymph into your drainage system, use your ring fingers to gently stroke under your eyes, inside to out, and up to the end of your cheek bones just before your ears, gently applying pressure at this point. Do this 3 times. You don’t need to apply too much pressure to move the fluid along, too much will close off the lymph tubes.
6. Massage your temples with your index and middle fingers.
7. Lastly, close your eyes and lightly apply raindrop taps with all fingers over your forehead and eye area for deep relaxation and tension removal.
Check out the video below to use as a handy reference to see how Cath goes from tired eyes to bright peppers using this quick and easy massage technique:
@honey.bee.beauty This 30 second eye massage will instantly reduce eye bags abd dark circles - use our Queen Bee under eye treatement to provide slip and glide, moisturise and reduce inflammation 👀 . #undereyetreatement #darkcircles #eyemassagetips #lymphaticdrainagemassage #brighteyes #naturalskincareroutine ♬ Campfire - Charmer & Klay
Depuff your under eyes using a jade roller or gua sha
If you have puffy eyes, apply your eye oil, close them and massage the whole area by moving the tool from the inner corner of your eyes to the base of your ear gently but firmly and smoothly. Repeat the same movements on the area above the eyelids and your forehead a few times.
As a lot of our eye movements such as frowning or showing surprise come from muscles in the forehead it’s a good idea to use your gua sha tool to alleviate tension built in the frontalis muscles (the vertical muscles that lift the brows).
Try cross-friction massaging horizontally to break them from their usual position and release fascia stress which will help in turn lead to a more youthful looking eye area. To experience full lymphatic drainage, perform the massage by continuing the strokes down to your neck.
Top tip: Try popping your jade roller or gua sha in the fridge before use for the ultimate in a handy depuffing and soothing tool.
Our Top lifestyle tips
We’ve compiled a list of our 7 favourite hacks to keep your eye area looking and feeling as healthy as possible:
1. Prioritise more sleep and use a silk pillowcase to stop delicate eye skin tugging and crinkling.
2. Quit smoking, lessen alcohol and caffeine consumption and increase your water intake.
3. Use an extra pillow: propping your head up that bit higher will help drain excess fluid from around the eyes whilst you sleep.
4. Cut down on your salt intake to decrease fluid retention.
5. Chill out: to help with puffiness and discolouration restrict the blood vessels by applying a cold compress such as a chilled teaspoon or frozen cucumber slices. Try putting two spoons in the freezer for 15 minutes and then place them on your eyes. Also try popping your eye oil in the fridge to really depuff and brighten those under eyes on application.
6. Protect your eyes from ageing UV rays by wearing sunglasses, sunscreen and a hat or visor.
7. Consider limiting your exposure to blue light from phones, computers, and electrical devices which, just like sunlight, can damage the delicate skin around the eyes. If you wear glasses consider investing in lenses with blue light protection.
B- Eye for now!
That's it from us this week! We hope this blog will prove a handy guide for helping to alleviate puffy, dark and tired under eyes by using just one product in combination with some eye massage and lifestyle tips that really will dramatically lift your under eye area and enhance your whole complexion, naturally.
As always, if we can help you with choosing the right eye product for you or with any other skincare questions, please just hit reply and we'll be here to help you.
Hope you enjoyed.
Cath, Bec and the bees xxx